Luxembourg takes over EU presidency from Latvia
MEPs will debate the priorities of the incoming Luxembourg presidency with Prime Minister Xavier Bettel of Luxembourg on Wednesday morning. The House will review the outgoing presidency with Prime Minister Laimdota Straujuma of Latvia and Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Tuesday morning.
The priorities of the Luxembourg Presidency for the second half of 2015 are based on seven pillars:
- Stimulating investment to boost growth and employment
- Deepening the European Union's social dimension
- Managing migration, combining freedom, justice and security
- Revitalising the single market by focusing on its digital dimension
- Placing European competitiveness in a global and transparent framework
- Promoting sustainable development
- Strengthening the European Union's presence on the global stage
Luxembourg, a founding member state of the EU, will hold the six-month rotating presidency of the Council for the 12th time, from 1 July to 31 December 2015.
Procedure: Council statements followed by a debate
Debates: Tuesday and Wednesday, 7 - 8 July