President Sassoli press conference on COVID-19 developments and plenary votes
When: Wednesday 21 October at 15:00 - Where: Anna Politkovskaya pressroom and questions via Skype
European Parliament President David Sassoli will hold a press conference today at 15.00 on the latest COVID-19 developments and major files on this week’s plenary agenda. He will also share information on the Parliament’s updated working procedures during the second wave of COVID-19 in Europe.
Journalists can attend the press conference in person, respecting the precautionary measures in force (see below), but are, however, encouraged to participate remotely and ask questions via Skype.
Parliament will be using an interactive virtual press environment (with interpretation) based on Skype TX, in conjunction with the traditional EbS and web-streaming services.
If you wish to ask a question:
- You will need a SKYPE account;
- Connect to VOXBOXEP and write your name and media organisation in the chat box.
You only need to connect through Skype if you wish to ask a question.
Please use headphones and a microphone for better sound quality.
The system will be managed by Parliament’s media services and you will be placed in a queue (virtual waiting room) before being invited to ask your question(s).
If you have any trouble connecting, you can contact: +32 22834220 or use the Skype chat box.
After asking a question / listening to the reply (and any follow-up), you should then disconnect from Skype so that the next journalist in line can be connected to the press briefing room.
REMINDER: working conditions in Parliament for journalists in light of Coronavirus
Due to the current public health situation, and in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19, Parliament is reducing the need for physical meetings on its premises. This is being done without compromising its role of democratic scrutiny and its ability to approve the necessary legislative measures to combat the virus and support the public, consumers, businesses and emergency services.
Parliamentary activities still taking place (including this week’s plenary session) will be web-streamed and can be followed by the media without requiring your physical presence on EP premises.
You are therefore advised not to come in person unless necessary. If you do so, please respect the recommended guidelines on physical distancing and hygiene. Please refrain from coming to EP premises if you present any symptoms of a respiratory infection or if you have knowingly been in contact with an infected person.
- Although most Members of Parliament will be participating remotely, if you need to interview Members of Parliament, please give preference to telephone or online methods unless absolutely necessary.
- The Vox Box recording studio is open but must be booked in advance and physical distancing must be respected at all times.
- The press tribune in the hemicycle will be accessible (limited capacity).
- The press work room will remain open with clear physical distancing, and precautionary measures in place must be fully respected.